Re: Symlinks to packaged assets when using gem-install option

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 05:35:21PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before gem-install option was introduced, we were using debian/links to symlink js files from /usr/share/javascript/foo to /usr/share/ruby-rails-assets-foo/app/assets/javascripts.
>
> But with gem-install option, version of the gem is added to the directory  in /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/foo-xyz.
>
> 1. Should we generate the links file with version in rules? Or
> 2. Can we have gem2deb create a symlink without version?

you can probably try creating the symlinks in the source tree before
dh_ruby does its thing, so that they will be installed to the correct
location.

something like

override_dh_auto_install:
	ln -s FOO assets/
	dh_auto_install

I would expect that to work (i.e.
/usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/foo-xyz/assets/contains a
symlink to FOO), if it doesn't I think we should fix it.