Patch vs. pointless dependency package

Hi,

I'd like to update ruby-specinfra to the latest version of upstream in
support of packaging for itamae[0].

ruby-specinfra has recently added a dependency on the "sfl" gem, which
implements spawn() in a ruby1.9+ compatible way for ruby1.8[1].

My question is about the best way to package the latest version of
specinfra. Since the package has no need to support ruby1.8 in Debian, I
think I should just patch out the dependency and single "require 'sfl'"
call[2].  The downside of course is that we have to carry a patch.

The other option is to package ruby-sfl, but that seems pretty pointless
for Debian.

Thoughts?

  [0] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=842932
  [1] https://github.com/ujihisa/spawn-for-legacy