Re: Steps to follow to not break gitlab and diaspora when dependencies are updated

* Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> [160615 08:35]:
> Background: recent update of ruby-addressable broke gitlab.
>
> https://ci.debian.net/data/packages/unstable/amd64/g/gitlab/latest-autopkgtest/log.gz
>
> Could not find gem 'addressable (~> 2.3.8)' in any of the gem sources
> listed in your Gemfile or available on this machine.
>
> Reason: Declaring tight dependency by gitlab and diaspora.
>
> Root cause: There is no guarantee that minor updates won't introduce
> breaking changes.
>
> Solution: Semantic Versioning.
>
> Way out: We should follow these steps when either gitlab or diaspora
> appears in the reverse dependency of any update.

This will completely halt changes to every library we have in the
team, on top of the already general slowness when updating libs.

I must therefore disagree.

--
 ,''`.  Christian Hofstaedtler <zeha@debian.org>
: :' :  Debian Developer