Sponsor-/Mentorship requested: Making "Sonic Pi" ready for Debian

Hi there,

for an effort to make Sonic Pi ready for Debian, we need a
sponsor/mentor from the Debian ruby packaging community to help us with
the ruby gem part of it.

Sonic Pi is a fun tool to teach programming to kids. It combines an
electronic synth with ruby to create a powerful, yet simple musical
instrument that you can play with code.

Thanks to the Debian Multimedia team, the sc3-plugins have now been
packaged and awaits approval, which is a major dependency for Sonic Pi.
Now, Petter and I are working on SP itself.

Its components are:

- a programming environment using ruby as its backend
- SuperCollider as an electronic synthesizer
- a kids-friendly IDE based on Qt

The ruby backend of Sonic Pi is using several ruby gems, chosen by hand
by Sam Aaron (the SP main developer). He copies those gems into the
Sonic Pi git tree for development...
<https://github.com/samaaron/sonic-pi/tree/master/app/server/vendor>
...and packages them later as an installer bundle for distribution on
Mac OS X, Windows and Raspbian.

The Raspbian package does not follow the Debian packaging rules and
we're trying to improve this for the benefit of the Debian-based
distribution world as a whole.

One of our next tasks is to list the vendor gems of Sonic Pi, find out
if they are packaged in Debian, test those that are, upgrade those that
don't work, package those that aren't in Debian yet.

It'd be great if there's someone from the Debian ruby team who might
want to help with that.

The current state of the packaging effort as a work-in-progress is here:
<https://github.com/deb-pkg-sonic-pi/pkg-sonic-pi>

I know that there's still a lot of lintian bugs with it, but we're
addressing those one by one.

Sonic Pi needs the sc3-plugins-server package installed, which hasn't
arrived in sid yet but you can download and build on your own from here:
<http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-multimedia/supercollider-sc3-plugins.git>

Thanks!

Hanno