Re: About packaging of ruby-gemoji

Dear Antonio, Cédric,

Sorry for late response and thanks for reply.

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 01:01:47 +0900,
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 02:46:55PM +0200, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 11:54:27PM +0900, Youhei SASAKI wrote:
> > > I have a question about the "section" of ruby-gemoji-image-installer.  I
> > > plan to create this package is under some kind of DFSG-Free license
> > > (maybe Expat).  Is it "main" or "contrib"? I don't plan to execute this
> > > script by postinst, execute by someone who want to use such "non-free"
> > > images.
> >
> > I think it is "contrib", like flashplugin-installer or
> > game-data-packager.
>
> And since ruby-gemoji will effectively depend on it, it would also
> need to go into contrib.

Partialy, Yes.

This package provides methods String <-> Unicode font mapping,
e.g. :
     Emoji.find_by_unicode("\u{1f604}")
     Emoji.find_by_alias('smile')

These methods don't need actual emoji {font,image} sets and codes are
under MIT/X11.

But gemoji provides installer which install all (include non-free)
images into the directory user wants. This methods needs actucal emoji
image sets.

Thus, I plan to create two package, one is string to unicode mapping,
another is installer for the user who want to use original, non-free
image sets.

> There are more than one freely licensed emoji sets, a quick google
> search brings up:

Yes I konw. But I don't need real {font,image} sets, for new upstream release "tDiary".
Hmm...

> I would rather see effort in getting one of those into Debian, and
> encouraging upstreams to use that instead.

I agree. I think so, and I'll contact upstream.

---
Youhei SASAKI <uwabami@gfd-dennou.org>
              <uwabami@debian.or.jp>
GPG fingerprint:
  4096/RSA: 66A4 EA70 4FE2 4055 8D6A C2E6 9394 F354 891D 7E07