Re: ruby-launchy

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 11:22:23PM +0200, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 01:50:12PM +0200, Per Andersson wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 6:22 AM, Abhijith PA <abhijith@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Ruby-launchy is a dependency for ruby-letter-opener. Seems like it has a
> > > repo in pkg-ruby-extras , but not uploaded to the archive.Mailed the
> > > maintainer, and no reply yet.It will be nice if some DD from here can
> > > take care of this.?
> >
> > Are there lots of depends on ruby-launchy? Otherwise it might be easier
> > to just use xdg-open, since most packages, from what I've seen, only use
> > it to launch something in a web browser. (I saw in the ITP that Jekyll
> > depends on it.)
>
> I think that only one or two packages in the archive so far depend
> (upstream) on ruby-launchy, and they have been patched to use xdg-open.
> It is currently used only to open a browser in a platform independent
> manner.

At the moment that is *everything* that launchy supports, i.e. its _only
feature_ is opening a browser. ;-)

> Since we control pretty much the environment of systems where
> our packages are installed, I don't think it is much necessary, and
> would prefer the use of more standard tools, like xdg-open.

OTOH we have to patch N packages that rely on launchy. I'm not sure
where to draw the line, i.e. which value of N is too large that it would
be easier to just bite the bullet and actually have launchy in Debian.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>