Re: How to stop breaking reverse dependencies?

Hi,

* Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> [150519 10:11]:
> On Tuesday 19 May 2015 12:09 PM, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> > On Tuesday 19 May 2015 03:44 AM, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> >> vagrant is now broken in unstable, due to an update of ruby-timers.
> >>
> >> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=785632
> >>
> >> As it turns out, vagrant depends in ruby-listen, that depends on
> >> ruby-celulloid, that has a strict ~> 1.1.0 dependency on ruby-timers.
> >> Also, ruby-celluloid is the *only* reverse dependency of ruby-timers, so
> >> discovering the breakage before the upload should probably require very
> >> little effort.

In light of these issues I've hacked together a script to check
dependencies betweens gems at DebConf15.

Ensure you have sid in your sources.list.
# apt-get update

$ git clone https://github.com/zeha/pkg-ruby-checkutils
$ cd pkg-ruby-checkutils
$ ruby buildcache.rb
$ ruby versioncheck.rb -a

You'll end up with a list of not-met gem dependencies across sid.

Warning: buildcache.rb downloads all amd64 debs containing a gemspec
from a Debian mirror (bandwidth warning), and versioncheck.rb then
loads these gemspecs (possible security warning).

A list from earlier today (split by development dependencies):

https://gist.github.com/zeha/cbab529c1076d37ab7be

Feel free to hack on these scripts more, copy them to alioth, ...

--
 ,''`.  Christian Hofstaedtler <zeha@debian.org>
: :' :  Debian Developer