Re: handling rails-assets as a virtual file system (Re: namespace conflicts in rails generators)

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 10:56:35AM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 November 2014 07:50 PM, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> > the same way we solve the issue with rails engines. I won't have much
> > motivation to work on that, however, before jessie is out.
>
> > If anyone wants to give it a try, I just pushed my WIP tree to alioth,
> > under the `install-as-gem` branch.
> >

> how about we create a virtual file system like /proc for rails assets?
> So if an application requires rails-assets-jqury-ui, it can just require
> rails-assets and libjs-jqury-ui. Rails assets virtual file system will
> return the necessary gemspec files for installed javascripts if there is
> a bower json file present. This will reduce the number of packages we
> have to maintain significantly. rails-assets.org itself is using a proxy
> to serve rubygems.
>
> I think we can offer this as a google summer of code project. What does
> everyone think about it?

It sounds like an interesting way of solving the issue.

However I am not sure about putting this up as a GSOC project. The
student would need quite some background on packaging, rails, bundler
and maybe even other stuff beforehand to be able to pull this off.

Also, solving the Rails engines issue is still needed.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>