Re: What is +gh? (WAS Re: [DRE-maint] ruby-em-redis_0.3.0+gh-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into unstable, unstable)

(Answering on-list.)

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Pirate Praveen <pravi.a@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> What does +gh in the version mean? :-)
>
> To show we are using gihub tarballs instead of gem file as source
> (mostly for including tests)
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Diaspora/Packaging/origsource

Ok. I always use upstream source archive instead of a downloaded gem.

I don't mark packages that actually use source from the upstream archive
with a special tag. And I don't think it is neither necessary nor a good idea
to add extra version sections (I personally have enough trouble keeping
up with (+|~)(dfsg|ds|debian)).

This is the first time that I have seen such a versioning scheme.

--
Per