Ruby IRC Meeting 2014/04/15

It appears the series of "important but unscheduled work meetings in
the evening while there's already a scheduled Ruby IRC meeting"
continues, so I might miss the meeting tonight. I'll try to make it
from my phone, though.

In any case, here's my take on the current ruby interpreter state:

Ruby 1.9
--------

1.9 is on it's way out, as one can track on this transition
tracker:
https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/ruby1.9.1-rm.html

I think everything that can be fixed by a binNMU has been fixed
already; those packages are usually those in the list that are green
on all archs except sparc -- we don't have ruby2.1 on sparc, so
that's a (hopefully small) issue as long as sparc is still in
testing. (I think we can ignore sparc, altough it might delay the
removal for a bit longer.)

I believe all arch-specific packages that FTBFS or have other issues
that prevent a binNMU bugs have been filed. It'd be great if
somebody could check for this: all arch-specific packages should
have an open RC bug.

There are a few team and non-team packages that would benefit from
NMUs to either fix dependencies or fix FTBFS. Please work on this!
:)

Ruby 2.0 & 2.1
--------------

With the same binNMUs as for the 1.9.1 removal most packages gain
binaries for ruby 2.1; if not, they'll at least have support for
2.0.

Can't think of any immediate action here, except for that we should
plan for the default switchover to 2.1. Maybe we could already do
that RSN.

In addition to the arch-specific package fixing which benefits the
1.9 removal and 2.1, all arch:all packages that don't install into
the shared "all" gemspec directory need sourceful reuploads. (One
can search for these using grep-dctrl for XB-Ruby-Versions being
!all and Architecture == all).

  -ch

--
 ,''`.  Christian Hofstaedtler <zeha@debian.org>