Re: progressbar and ruby-progressbar gems

Hi Praveen,

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 05:30:27PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> fuubar gem depends on ruby-progressbar gem and we already have
> ruby-progressbar package because of progressbar gem.

> I don't see any reverse dependencies for ruby-progressbar. and the lat
> update for progressbar gem is september 2013 whereas ruby-progressbar
> has recent releases.

> I'm thinking about replacing current ruby-progressbar package with
> ruby-progressbar package. Let me know if there is any objections.

This question has been asked a long time ago (Jan 2013) by Hideki Yamane
  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers/2013-January/013531.html

It is tempting to agree with you, but:

- the current ruby-progressbar package has a popcon ~ 80, which is
  better than the median for the packages maintained by the team
- the ruby-progressbar gem uses a different name for the filenames than
  the progressbar gem.
- Since it has no reverse-deps/reverse build-deps, it has been installed
  because people use it for local scripts, and there is no way with
  Breaks: fields to tell them that their scripts will stop working if we
  replace one by the other.

So I would go for a new package. If you replace it, then it should be
considered as if you removed the old one from the archive, and put a new
package with the same name. You would need to put a big fat warning in a
NEWS.Debian file to mention that it has nothing to do with the old name,
so that people are warned on upgrade.

What do others think?