Re: New team member

Hi Caitlin!

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Caitlin Matos <caitlin.matos@zoho.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> My name's Caitlin, and I'd like to join the ruby extras team.

Yes, welcome!

> I'm not interested in any particular package. I'm more interested in the
> QA-type tasks, cleaning up existing packages and importing the new upstream
> versions before the jessie freeze. I've already been playing around with and
> updating several packages, but obviously I haven't uploaded or committed any
> of it yet.

That is great.

> My Alioth account is cm-guest, and I have just sent a request to join.
>
> I'm not a DD or DM (hopefully one day...), so I will always need a sponsor.
> I've looked through the list archives and seen that this team is quite good
> about that. :)

Have you seen the team section on the Debian Wiki? Most of it is up to date
and relevant I think, otherwise please update it or ask!

There is a section about how to request sponsorships for your work

    https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Packaging#Requesting_Sponsorship

> I do have a couple of questions about the team workflow. I've browsed
> through the past few months of archives and read the wiki pages, and I got
> some answers on IRC, but I still have a few questions. In particular, I'm
> wondering what the uploader role means in this group, and whether that
> person is the de facto maintainer. I'm not sure which packages to work on
> and which to steer clear of, and I don't want to impinge on someone else's
> territory, nor do I want to work on a package only to find out someone
> uploaded a new version in the meantime!

>From my experience we don't have territories in this team. I have never felt
this and have always just seen happy faces when work is done.

If you are unsure, ask on IRC or on the team list; as Cédric says. I also
welcome updates to all packages where I am listed as Uploader.

> Look forward to working with you!

Again, welcome to the team!

--
Per