Working on rails 4 support

Hello everyone,

Recently we decided to not have Rails 3.2 in jessie. Since security
support is already in "only serious security issues" mode, we can't
count on serious security support for the jessie lifetime.

We also decided that it is not worth the effort to maintain multiple
rails stacks simultaneously, and to drop the "versioning" in package
names (ruby-activerecord-3.2 etc).

We have now started the effort to bring rails 4 (4.1) in shape to be
released. Right now, rails is seriously broken in unstable:

  # apt install ruby-rails
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  or been moved out of Incoming.

   ruby-rails : Depends: ruby-actionpack (= 2:4.1.4-4)
                Depends: ruby-actionmailer (= 2:4.1.4-4)
                Depends: ruby-railties (= 2:4.1.4-4)
                Depends: ruby-sprockets-rails (>= 2.0) but it is not going to be installed
                Depends: ruby-sprockets-rails (< 3.0) but it is not going to be installed

The bulk of the work needed to bring rails back on ... rails ;-), is:

- packaging new dependencies, such as spring (I am on it)
- making sure the packages shown above are installable. a lot of them
  are just hardcoding dependendies on *-3.2 packages, which are not
  co-installable with the new ones from the `rails` source package.
- fixing ruby-jquery-rails, ruby-coffee-rails, ruby-sass-rails, etc so
  that the asset pipeline works out of the box.
- making sure we have all upstream versions needed in order for rails 4 to
  operate correctly.

The primary acceptance criteria is to pass the autopkgtest test suite in
the source package.

I want to let you know that I am working on this.  I will appreciate any
help I can get, so if you want to help with this let me know so that we
can coordinate and don't duplicate work. I don't have a clear list of
action items yet, though; it is more or less exploratory work at this
point.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>