Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:26:28 +0200
From: Cédric Boutillier <boutil@debian.org>
To: Caitlin Matos <caitlin.matos@zoho.com>
Subject: Re: New team member

Dear Caitlin,

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 08:55:09PM -0400, Caitlin Matos wrote:
> Hi there,

> My name's Caitlin, and I'd like to join the ruby extras team.

> I'm not interested in any particular package. I'm more interested in the
> QA-type tasks, cleaning up existing packages and importing the new upstream
> versions before the jessie freeze. I've already been playing around with and
> updating several packages, but obviously I haven't uploaded or committed any
> of it yet.

> My Alioth account is cm-guest, and I have just sent a request to join.

Your request has been accepted, Welcome on board! We are happy to have
more workforce, especially before the freeze.

> I'm not a DD or DM (hopefully one day...), so I will always need a sponsor.
> I've looked through the list archives and seen that this team is quite good
> about that. :)

> I do have a couple of questions about the team workflow. I've browsed
> through the past few months of archives and read the wiki pages, and I got
> some answers on IRC, but I still have a few questions. In particular, I'm
> wondering what the uploader role means in this group, and whether that
> person is the de facto maintainer. I'm not sure which packages to work on
> and which to steer clear of, and I don't want to impinge on someone else's
> territory, nor do I want to work on a package only to find out someone
> uploaded a new version in the meantime!

My point of view is the following: if you just prepare a one-time upload
to fix a bug or to upgrade to a newer version without much change, then
you can make a "Team upload". If you add these words to the changelog
entry, then there is no need to add yourself to the Uploaders field in
debian/control.

If instead, you found a package on which you spent some time, and you
particularly like to maintain, then add your name to the Uploaders
field.

> Look forward to working with you!

So am I. Don't hesitate to ask questions on this list or on IRC if you
get stuck. A good place to start is the Debian Maintainer Dashboard:

http://udd.debian.org/dmd.cgi?email=pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org

and look for example RC bugs, or outdated packages (check if the reverse
dependencies still work).

----- End forwarded message -----