Re: RFC: reverting ruby-rack to 1.4.x with an epoch

On 10/26/2013 07:34 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
On 10/26/2013 03:47 AM, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 09:22:06PM +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
What about temporarily introducing "rack1.4" package and use that as
dependency in rails-3.2 (together with adding Breaks: rails-*-3.2 to
rack 1.5)

This is another idea, which could solve the problem, and
I guess it really depends on the plan for Rails in Jessie:
- if we want to keep 3.2 together with 4.0, then we indeed need two
   versions of rack in the archive. Having two versions of Rails (and
   rack represent a lot of work, maybe too much?)
- if the goal is to maintain just one version of Rails, then we need to
   fix the one that was working in unstable, and has been broken for too
   long. Rails 4.0 is uninstallable for various reasons now in
   unstable anyway. We could move the whole development of Rails 4.0 in
   experimental for the moment where it could have its 1.5.2+really1.5.2
   version of rack :)

Having a clear and explicit goal for Rails in Jessie would be great.
I understand from earlier discussions [1] that the second scenario with
just one rails version was the prefered one.
Redmine however seems to lack support for Rails 4.0 [2].

   1: https://lists.debian.org/debian-ruby/2013/05/msg00030.html
   2: http://www.redmine.org/issues/14534

Any comments/opinions on that?

This looks like it might be a bug in the protected_attributes gem -- a
gem whose primary purpose in life is to make upgrades like this easier.
  The protected_attributes gem is maintained by members of the Rails
core team, and my experience is that if they are provided with a test
case with simple reproduction instructions, they will fix the problem.

Testing it, and I do NOT get the same results as reported in the bug.

I get a deprecation warning (config.whiny_nils), a message indicating that I need to set a config option (config.eager_load), but more troubling, the following error:

/home/rubys/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p392/gems/activesupport-4.0.0/lib/active_support/core_ext/module/aliasing.rb:32:in `alias_method': undefined method `add_options' for class `ActionView::Helpers::InstanceTag' (NameError)

It appears that config/initializers/10-patches.rb contains a number of monkey patches which are specific to Rails 3.

Cédric

[1] https://github.com/rails/protected_attributes#readme

- Sam RUby