gem2deb + gbp workflow

Hello,

I am preparing to package two other ruby gems. Learning from my past experiences with ruby-filepath, this time I would like to stick to a more streamlined process.

One of the packaging guides [1] suggest this:

1. geb2deb GEM
2. gbp import-dsc GEM.dsc
3. remove debian/VER tag
4. make fixes
5. create repository
6. push package

I have two questions.

Between step 3 and 4, the guide says «At this point, please do not make any change to the package generated by gem2deb. It is important to track all the changes in git». I read this as "Do not amend the first commit created using the gem2deb". What is the point of this suggestion? The packages created by gem2deb are very rudimentary and just plain wrong on many accounts (for example the debian/copyright files). The only interesting value I see here is to track changes so one can see what gem2deb got wrong and automate this in another release. But wouldn't that be better served by simple bug reports?

Another thing I do not understand is the fact that the packages produced by gem2deb are supposed to Build-Depend on gem2deb itself. How come the dh-ruby subsystem is not separated from gem2deb (that I thought was just a simple conversion script)?

Bye,

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Packaging

--
Gioele Barabucci <gioele@svario.it>