Re: ruby 2.0 package updates

Hi Antonio,

On 03/06/13 00:41, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 05:05:37PM +0100, John Leach wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been doing a bit of work on the Ruby 2.0 packages. I
>> maintain some unofficial Ruby package builds for Ubuntu (and have
>> been doing for years[1]) - mostly just backporting the good work
>> you Debian people do.
>>
>> This time though I think I've got something worth feeding back
>> upstream and thought it was about time I got involved.
>
> Thanks for getting in touch. As Ondřej says, more people to help
> is always appreciated, and you are welcome to contribute more
> closely.
>
>> So I took Antonio Terceiro's initial work and:
>>
>> * fixed some install paths
>
> I cherry picked this patch, thanks!
>
>> * updated symbols for i386/amd64 builds
>
> Debian has several other architectures, and it's not feasible to
> maintain one symbols file for each one of them.
>
> There is support for declaring that some symbols are specific to
> some architectures, so we should use that instead.

ah, I didn't realise you could do that within the one file. makes sense.

> comparing your i386 and amd64 files tells me which symbols are
> amd64-only, thanks!
>
>> * converted a mis-commited change to the source to a patch
>
> actually that was on purpose, I wanted to experiment with
> --single-debian-patch option of dpkg-source (see
> debian/source/local-options).
>
> My plan for Ruby 2.0 is to avoid carrying patches at all costs, so
> I didn't want to create debian/patches/ at all. I committed the
> multiarch fixes backport from Ruby trunk directly to master so that
> when we import the upstream version that has those fixes we just go
> back to a empty diff wrt upstream.

ah, I'm not familiar with that method of patching - the only time I've
come across something like that before, I'd accidentally committed a
change to the code myself.

It makes sense though, since we're using git anyway! quilt seems like
a poor man's git :)

>> * added the patch from 1.9.3 that debianizes rubygems
>
> I prefer to make the package depend in rubygems-integration instead
> of patching every interpreter package. This should also be done to
> the 1.9 package at some point.
>
> rubygems-integration is still missing the part that disables `gem
> update --system`, though.

ah, I didn't realise that either. I see rubygems-integration just
drops in a operating_system.rb in the global ruby vendor dir. perfect!

>> * updated Ruby version to 2.0.0p195
>
> this is cool.
>
>> I also removed a deleted_on_clean tarballing thing, but I didn't
>> actually quite understand it so I might have been mistaken doing
>> that.
>
> Without this I could not restore my working directory to a clean
> state, because `make clean` deletes files distributed in the
> original tarball.
>
>> I pushed the code to github:
>>
>> https://github.com/brightbox/deb-ruby2.0
>>
>> Is this of use like this? I don't know the best way to contribute
>> my work to the Debian effort. Happy for any guidance or hand
>> holding offered :)
>
> I won't say I will make use of all the changes you did there, but
> I think your effort is appreciated, and if you want to work
> together you are more than welcome.

thanks for the encouragement. I'll stay on the mailing list here and
keep an eye out for any way I can contribute. I'll feed back with
anything that comes up whilst maintaining my Ubuntu builds too.

If you think I can help with anything specific at any point, just give
me a shout.

>> I've done a lot of work packaging Passenger 4 too:
>>
>> https://github.com/johnl/deb-passenger/commits/passenger4
>>
>> that's way more involved though, and I suspect more complicated
>> to be contributed back upstream. Perhaps for another thread:
>>
>> https://github.com/johnl/deb-passenger/commits/passenger4
>
> I never touched the passenger package, and didn't read the commits
> you did on it. But I would say that in general, if you can make
> your efforts direcly on Debian, it will be appreciated.

I'll look at how best to contribute this and get in touch with the
passenger package maintainer then.

Thanks,

John.