Re: gitlab status?

Hello Ondřej,

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 17:11:07 +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> I have been asked by my team to try gitlab for our development, so I
> would like to ask about the status of gitlab and it's dependencies.

On the rather long "Regarding gitlab" thread on debian-ruby, there has
been some discussion as far as satisfying gitlab's dependencies go.

Before the last major release, gitlab depended on three modified ruby
gems, which could not be packaged in a clean way in Debian. We talked to
Upstream about it, and he replied:

> We use patched libraries because we need some fixes and improvements over
> native one.

I asked whether he tried merging those changes into their respective
upstream repositories:

> I can build a gems like `gitlab-grit` or something if it saves you a lot o
> efforts.

That was last month - We did not get into any sort of agreement as of
yet, and I have been quite busy lately. Though, since a new release is
out, I'll contact upstream about it again.

> I could help with uploads and updates in experimental to make things moving.

Right now, besides that issue with these modified gems, what we need is
to get the rest of the dependencies packaged. And they make quite a
number. I'll do my best with gem2deb, but will of course need assistance
and welcome anyone willing to fill up these holes.

Regards.

--
Daniel Martí - mvdan@mvdan.cc - GPG 0x58BF72C3