Re: MRI 1.9.3p362

On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 05:09:01PM +0100, James Healy wrote:

> Hi Antonio,
>
> On 03/01/13 19:38, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> > Also, I am suspicious of those symbols changes. Those dropped
> > symbols might break compiled extensions who use them. Can you
> > investigate whether we are agoing to have problems with that?
>
> I'm suspicious of them too, however I'm still quite new to packaging C
> source so I'm unsure what to do next.
>
> How would I investigate possible issues?

One way is using the awesome Debian code search tool that has been
announced some time ago: http://codesearch.debian.net/

For example it seems that rb_class_init_copy won't be a problem. All the
instances of rb_class_init_copy are either inside of Ruby itself, or on
an ambedded copy of Ruby in the adanaxisgpl, which is harmless to us
(although I reported a bug about that).

http://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=rb_class_init_copy

Can you check the others? I did a quick check on two of the rb_path_*
and it seems to be ok.

> Is there much we can do about it if upstream is making these changes
> within point releases?

At the packaging level, no. If it breaks something, we should report
upstream bugs, and maybe try convincing them on not doing this.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>