Re: rubygems integration for packages shipping more than one gemspec file

Hi Cédric,

Sorry for the absurd delay to reply on this.

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 11:41:07PM +0100, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I had a question concerning Praveen's bug report #693252.
>
> Currently, ruby-json install json-version.gemspec file in
> /usr/share/rubygems-integration for integration with rubygems.
> This package ships both the C extension and the pure Ruby variant.
>
> If I have ruby-json package installed and if I want to install a gem
> which depends on json_pure, which contains just the pure Ruby
> implementation, rubygems will pull json_pure gem whereas it could have
> use the library provided by ruby-json Debian package instead.
>
> Since the json gem ships several gemspec files in addition to the
> json.gemspec (in particular json_pure.gemspec). Would it make sense to
> make gem2deb install maybe not all, but possibly several of them, in
> adequation with the files we install in the Debian package?
> More precisely, would it make sense to have gem2deb/dh ship both
> json-version.gemspec and json_pure.gemspec? Should we instead split such
> packages, one binary per gemspec file?
>
> I must admit that I have not a long experience with the .gemspec files,
> so I apologize if I miss something obvious here.

My opinion is that the best option is to make one binary package per
gemspec. In this case, this will mirror the design of the upstream
package; if you look at its Rakefile¹, you will see that the json
project produces separate gems for json_pure (lib/*) and json (ext/*).

¹ https://github.com/flori/json/blob/master/Rakefile

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>