Re: multi-binary support in dh_ruby - new in gem2deb 0.4.0

Hello Cédric,

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 04:54:27PM +0200, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
[snip]
> I have a question about how to use this setting in cases where
> the different .gemspec files are in the same place (let's say the root
> directory).

Yes, the solution I designed does not support that.

> I have two examples in mind: ruby-json (which ships also
> json-pure), and bson/bson-ext/mongo which are developped in the same git
> repository and would benefit from this functionality, because at the
> moment, tests for the different libraries are entangled.
>
> I've tested with ruby-json.
>
> However, indicating two binary packages ruby-json and ruby-json-pure,
> the two directories debian/ruby-json and ruby-json-pure receive exactly
> the same files.
> I cannot manage dispatch the files in different directories, unless
> I use DH_RUBY_USE_DH_AUTO_INSTALL_DESTDIR=1 and *.install files.
>
> However, with this variable set, I have two issues:
> - extensions are built in debian/ruby-json / debian/ruby-json-pure
>   instead of debian/tmp
>   (this is related to #701716)

I will work on a fix for this.

> - I get warning that this variable is deprecated in favor of the new
>   multibinary setting (this should be indicated in dh_ruby's manpage).

I can think of two ways of solving this problem:

- Keep using DH_RUBY_USE_DH_AUTO_INSTALL_DESTDIR and *.install. I'm
  inclined to back out from deprecating this if we don't find a better
  way.

- Install all files to a single binary package, and install all
  gemspecs as part os mostly-empty convenience binary packages that
  depend on the "central" one. This way, as far as Rubygems is
  concerned, all of the sub-components are installed.

Ideas?

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>