Re: Rails on Debian?

Alex Young escreveu isso aí:
> On 28/08/2012 01:47, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> >You are free to use whatever solution works best for you.
> >
> >Which practice is _best_, however, depends a lot on what you need and
> >expect. If you want/need to follow new upstream releases whenever they
> >are released, yeah, for sure go with installing with rubygems. That's
> >not, however, what everyone else wants/needs.
> >
> Of course.  I'm trying to tease out the dividing line between the
> two, because the guidelines as they currently stand are rather
> implicit. From my perspective, using the Wheezy rails package *right
> now* would make sense if I was packaging an app specifically with
> the aim of getting it into Debian at some point in the future.
>
> Once rails 3 is fully into wheezy-backports, I'd say that it would
> be more applicable for standalone applications with a long upgrade
> cycle.
>
> My feeling is still that applications which are going to be actively
> developed and deployed over the course of many months are better
> served by staying in the ruby ecosystem, and taking advantage of
> gem2deb and a local apt repository for deployment if the situation
> warrants it.

The massive amount of work that was put by the Ruby team during the
Wheezy cycle was in part to reduce the need to think of "the Ruby
ecosystem" _versus_ "the Debian ecosystem". Of course, the fraction of
useful Ruby packages that are packaged in Debian is very small, so
applications that depend on non-packaged stuff might be easier to manage
with Rubygems. But in the end, the code of an application should not
need to care how its dependencies were installed on the system.

> I'm sure you have further criteria for when you'd pick `apt-get
> install rails` over `gem install rails`, and it would be good to
> hear them - especially ones that'll hold 18 months from now.  I'm
> not being snarky here, when people ask me about this I have no
> better advice to give them than what I've written above.

In the case of Noosfero, my main reason for sticking with Debian
packages is being able to manage not only Ruby dependencies, but also
non-Ruby ones, like apache, varnish, memcached, PostgreSQL, etc, etc,
using a single mechanism.

In the end, this issue boils down to the old debate of whether you
should rely on system packages or if you should do it yourself (or rely
on third-party automation scripts etc). Both approaches have advantages
and drawbacks, which I won't rehash here.

Another important point for me is targetting a known-stable base system,
with well-known versions of all the components (i.e. Debian stable, or
Ubuntu LTS, or ...), versus having to worry about incompatibilities
between different versions of each of them.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>