Re: Transition of Ruby packages to the new Ruby policy

(Please copy me on replies, as I'm not subscribed to debian-ruby.)

Cédric Boutillier <cedric.boutillier@gmail.com> writes:

> Install locations for libraries
> ===============================

> Libraries not bundled with the Ruby interpreters should be installed
> somewhere in /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby directory, instead of
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8 or /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1. A Pure Ruby library working
> for all Ruby version would go in /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby.  Files
> specific to a version of the interpreter should go in
> /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/$RUBYVER (vendorlibdir). Code compiled
> specifically for the host architecture should go to
> /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/$RUBYVER/$ARCH (vendorarchdir).

Using a Makefile generated by an extconf.rb file, I currently do:

    make install DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/tmp \
        RUBYARCHDIR='$$(archdir)$$(target_prefix)'

What should I change that to instead?  Is there a $(vendorarchdir) that
will do the right thing?

I'm happy to make this change with the next upload of remctl, but I'm not
all that familiar with Ruby (the bindings were contributed by someone
else, and I know just enough about Ruby to maintain them).