backporting ruby-net-ssh from wheezy to squeeze

Hi,

to circumvent a bug present in squeeze's libnet-ssh2-ruby, I would
like to take ruby-net-ssh from wheezy and backport it to squeeze.
Since I have rather limited experience with the way ruby is packaged
in Debian, this has proven a little more difficult than I expected.

Lucas suggested on IRC that I take wheezy's packaging and use a
backport of current gem2deb to build my ruby-net-ssh package.

gem2deb build-depends on ruby-shoulda-context, ruby-mocha, rubygems1.8
(>= 1.8.12-1~) and ruby-setup. ruby-mocha and ruby-setup are quickly
solved by reordering the package names to build libmocha-ruby and
libsetup-ruby1.8. But ruby-shoulda-context depends on gem2deb itself,
which is not in plain stable. Aside from using a backport, how do I
address an issue like that in the Ruby world?

The dependency on rubygems1.8 (>= 1.8.12-1~) looks harder for me - is
it really necessary to backport rubygems? I guess not, since there is
no rubygems backport in backports.d.o, but a gem2deb backport.
However, the gem2deb backport on bpo was built with the tests
disabled, and I doubt that this is desireable.

What is the canonical way to backport ruby related packages?

Greetings
Marc

Mannheim, Germany  |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 621 31958061
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 621 31958062