Re: transition to new policy of other packages / transitional packages

Cédric Boutillier dijo [Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 05:25:42PM +0100]:
> Wheezy freeze will occur in about three months. Is there any action that
> has to be taken to encourage maintainers of Ruby packages outside of the
> team to convert their packages to the new Ruby policy (and possibly
> gem2deb when applicable)?
>
> We could start with an email to debian-devel to advertise the "new"
> naming convention. Should we encourage (or at least propose) them to
> maintain these package in the team repository? Maybe it is an occasion
> to use gobby.debian.org to draft such an announcement. What do you
> think?

Hi,

Yes, I very much agree with you, we (that means you, thanks for
volunteering! ;-) ) should try to get all maintainers to do the
migration. As the changes are not really disruptive, there is not
*much* risk of disrupting currently existing packages, so it should
pose no problems to the upcoming freeze.

> On another topic: I see that many transitional lib*-ruby* packages have not
> moved to the oldlibs category. Unless there are objections, I am
> willing to file the bugs against ftp.master.org (starting from Thursday,
> 22nd of March) to solve these "override disparity" issues.

Right. And, of course, file them as bugs as well for those packages as
well.