Re: Changing the default version of Ruby to be 1.9

On 03/01/12 at 20:41 -0200, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> Lucas Nussbaum escreveu isso aí:
> > Taking http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/wheezy/details.html, I
> > think that we should migrate or remove all packages with popcon > 200
> > (for the Ruby package).
> >
> > At this point, I think that we should file wishlist bugs for the
> > remaining packages. Anyone willing to do that? (with a usertag, etc)
>
> I didn't really understand your proposal. Do you mean "popcon < 200"
> instead?

no, I meant that we should have a clean situation for popular packages
before making a switch that will damage the packages that are not
migrated yet.

So, for each package with popcon > 200, we should to determine if:
- it should be migrated -> then migrate it
- it should be removed from Debian -> then remove it

After the switch, we could address the other packages.

> > Also, there's some mess to clean up. The 'rails' source package should be
> > replaced by the 'ruby-rails-2.3' source package by introducing
> > transitional packages.
>
> The 'rails' source already contains practically only transitional
> packages. Do you mean moving those transitional packages to
> ruby-rails-2.3?

Ah, yes.

> (I don't really know how we are going to have rails 3 co-installed with
> the current 2.3 packages, though)

In the worst case, they could conflict. That way we would still provide
the possibility to choose between 2.3 and 3.0...

> > Finally, we should test what happens when 1.9 is used. Everybody, please
> > install ruby-switch and run 'sudo ruby-switch --set ruby1.9.1'.
> > At least apt-listbugs is currently broken when I do that.
>
> I was already running 1.9.1 as default Ruby with rbenv for some time
> already, and don't remember anything being broken -- but /usr/bin/ruby
> was still 1.8. I've just switched system-wide, let's see what happens.

At this point, switching is a bit dangerous because of apt-listbugs:
you switch, and then apt-listbugs crashes, causing apt-get to crash!

Lucas