Re: Changing the default version of Ruby to be 1.9

On 01/03/2012 02:29 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
On 02/01/12 at 13:13 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
The Ruby team has indicated that they plan to stop providing bug
support for Ruby 1.8.7 later this year, and to drop all support next
year:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2011/10/06/plans-for-1-8-7/

The Rails team has indicated that they will be dropping support for
Ruby 1.8.7 with the next major release, expected to occur later this
year:

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2011/12/20/rails-master-is-now-4-0-0-beta

Given that Debian already provides support for changing the default
version, wouldn't it make sense for the next release of Debian (and
the next release of Ubuntu, given that 12.04 is intended to be LTS
release) to default to Ruby 1.9.3?

Taking http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/wheezy/details.html, I
think that we should migrate or remove all packages with popcon>  200
(for the Ruby package).

At this point, I think that we should file wishlist bugs for the
remaining packages. Anyone willing to do that? (with a usertag, etc)

Also, there's some mess to clean up. The 'rails' source package should be
replaced by the 'ruby-rails-2.3' source package by introducing
transitional packages.

Finally, we should test what happens when 1.9 is used. Everybody, please
install ruby-switch and run 'sudo ruby-switch --set ruby1.9.1'.
At least apt-listbugs is currently broken when I do that.

I'm willing to try.

By way of introduction, Linux has been my primary operating system for over 10 years. I started with RedHat, jumped to Debian in 2003 when there was uncertainty caused by the creation of Fedora, jumped to Ubuntu 8 months later as Debian (at the time) was not dependably putting out release at that time. I've been a happy user of Ubuntu ever since.

ruby-switch is not found using Ubuntu 11.10.

I downloaded debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso with the intention of running it inside VirtualBox. Graphical install froze: no response to tab keys or mouse. Non-graphical mode puts out what appears to be an unending stream of "INFO: kbd-mode: setting console mode to Unicode (UTF-8)" messages. Trying control-C produces a Segment Fault, after which the messages resume.

If I can get a working setup, I will debug apt-listbugs and submit patches.

Rails 2.3 is not out yet, but if somebody can point me to the instructions on building a package that will be accepted, I will see what I can do.

- Sam Ruby
Lucas