Re: Changing the default version of Ruby to be 1.9

On 01/02/2012 05:05 PM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
Hi,

On 02/01/12 at 13:13 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
The Ruby team has indicated that they plan to stop providing bug
support for Ruby 1.8.7 later this year, and to drop all support next
year:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2011/10/06/plans-for-1-8-7/

The Rails team has indicated that they will be dropping support for
Ruby 1.8.7 with the next major release, expected to occur later this
year:

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2011/12/20/rails-master-is-now-4-0-0-beta

Given that Debian already provides support for changing the default
version, wouldn't it make sense for the next release of Debian (and
the next release of Ubuntu, given that 12.04 is intended to be LTS
release) to default to Ruby 1.9.3?

What are the support plans for Ruby 1.9.3?

I am not a part of the Ruby development team (I do believe that I had one minor patch accepted at one time, but that hardly qualifies me to comment), but I do believe that the following taken together paints a picture of 1.9.x being something you can depend on into 2013 and probably quite a while beyond that date.

Ruby 1.9.3 is officially supported on Debian:

http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby-trunk/wiki/SupportedPlatforms

Ruby 1.9.4 is due in about a year:

http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby-trunk/roadmap#1.9.4

There is no current ruby_1_9_4 branch:

http://svn.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/branches/

The main trunk is now 2.0.0:

https://github.com/ruby/ruby/commit/6b8d4ab840b2d76d356ba30dbccfef4f5fd10767

The plans are to release 2.0.0 in February of 2013, coinciding with the 20th anniversary of the Ruby language itself:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/40301

My best guess is that 1.9.4, if it is made at all, will be a minor and backwards compatible release, with perhaps a few features backported to make migration to 2.0.0 easier.

Note that 1.8.7 was released in 2008, and will have bug fixes through mid 2012 and security fixes into 2013. 1.9.3 was released last year and in all likelihood 1.9.x will be supported for a number of years.

L.

- Sam Ruby