Re: introducing a ruby-common package, with update-ruby-alternatives tool

On 20/11/11 at 21:18 -0200, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> Hi Lucas,
>
> Lucas Nussbaum escreveu isso aí:
> > > I wrote update-ruby-alternatives, and the solution I came up with was to
> > > add it to a new package called ruby-common, which the actualy
> > > interpreter packages (ruby1.8, ruby1.9.1 etc) should depend on.
> > >
> > > The code for this is ready in the `update-ruby-alternatives` branch on
> > > the ruby-defaults git repository, would you  have a look at it and tell
> > > us what you think? Do you guys agree with that implementation?
> >
> > Hi Antonio,
> >
> > I reviewed the ruby-common package, and it sounds very good to me.  The
> > only comment is that it should probably be a separate ruby-common source
> > package (ruby-defaults contains only transitional packages at this
> > point).
> >
> > Another option would be to call it "ruby-switcher" or "ruby-switch".
> > What do you think?
>
> I think these are very sensible suggestions, thank you. I've worked on
> this today and we have a first version of the ruby-switch package:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-ruby-extras/ruby-switch.git;a=summary
>
> Feedback is welcome.  I will probably upload it sometime during next
> weekend.

It seems that it wasn't uploaded?

I still like the idea, and would like to see it in Debian.

> I also thought better and figured out that making the interpreter
> packages depend on it is too much, so I think ruby-switch is going to be
> a regular, optional package.

Mmh, the interpreter could still suggest it, I think.
When uploaded, could you file wishlist bugs on ruby1.8 and ruby1.9.1
about that, so that I don't forget?

Lucas