Re: Status of gem2deb in Debian?

Hi,

On 24/01/11 at 12:28 -0800, Clint Byrum wrote:
> So I'm looking to add ruby binary packages to the gearman-interface
> source package (its a SWIG binding that produces python, python3, lua,
> and ruby wrappers for libgearman).
>
> It requires a number of little things to build that are unpackaged,
> namely echoe and rubyforge.
>
> So I thought, what a perfect time to try out gem2deb.
>
> 1) it worked *amazingly well* at getting a working .deb and a source
> package that is nearly ready for upload (just need to do the usual
> copyright/license review and write a man page for rubyforge).
>
> 2) Its not in Debian yet
>
> 3) Policy still states  libfoo-ruby. Should we change it now to state
> that in wheezy, the policy will be changed to be ruby-foo ?

Which policy?

> So, I know that squeeze's release is truly just around the corner, just
> wondering if there's anything I can do to help get gem2deb ready for
> upload, or help with these policy changes.

So, here is what needs to happen (all of it in unstable, not in squeeze,
of course):
1/ we need to converge in the "Ruby packaging in wheezy" thread. Or at
least, someone needs to consolidate the various points on a wiki page
somewhere. I'm not sure where we should go from here, but I should
probably re-read the thread. There are disagreements at least on SVN vs
GIT for the pkg-ruby-extras, for the packages naming,

2/ we need to update ruby1.8 and ruby1.9.1, since a new version of both
was released. Probably also rubygems.

3/ we probably want to work on this before we upload gem2deb to
unstable:
> However, we could have a mode where dh-make-ruby would auto-fill .docs,
> .examples etc with what it finds. It wouldn't be good enough for
> distribution-shipped packages, but would probably be enough for people
> running gem2deb as a one-shot thing. Patch welcomed. ;)

4/ we need to test gem2deb, and fix the issues that we will find.

Then we can upload gem2deb and start re-packaging/packaging the major
ruby libraries and tools (stuff needed to build/run test suites, mostly,
first).

- Lucas