Re: Ruby packaging in wheezy: gem2deb, new policy, etc.

On 16/01/11 at 23:49 +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> [...]

5) Something I forgot to add is "dependencies on ruby interpreters".
With gem2deb, we will get a single ruby-foo package that is supposed to
work with all Ruby implementations (ruby1.8, ruby1.9.1, jruby,
rubinius).

I think that this ruby-foo package should depend on a "ruby-interpreter"
virtual package, so that all users can install the ruby interpreter of
their choice.
And that each ruby interpreter should provide "ruby-interpreter".
Additionally, we should move to using alternatives to select the ruby
implementation. After that:
- applications willing to force the use of ruby1.8 should use
  /usr/bin/ruby1.8 in shebang
- applications willing to use the selected ruby implementation (whatever
  it is) should use /usr/bin/ruby

This relaxes a bit the handling of dependencies, making it possible (if
the user changes the default ruby implementation) to end up in
situations where some applications might not work. However, I think that
it is the best thing to do to encourage innovation in the field of ruby
interpreters.

The default ruby version should still be 1.8 at least for some time,
given that most libraries are not supporting 1.9 yet.

- Lucas