Re: RFS: ruby-text 0.2.0

Dear Olivier,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 02:20:01PM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:

> Le 10/4/11 1:54 PM, Cédric Boutillier a écrit :
> > - debian/copyright: you could use a single standalone paragraph License:
> > GPL-2+, and refer to it in the two Files: paragraph.
> > The file lib/text/porter_stemming is in the public domain, and not
> > GPL-2+. This sould be mentionned in the copyright file.
> Not sure this should be done. The public domain is the algorithm form
> which the Ruby porting was done.
> The file itself is an implementation of the algo which is public domain.
> the file itself can be kept as GPL I think.

The file is almost identical to the file:
  http://tartarus.org/~martin/PorterStemmer/ruby.txt
written by Ray Pereda <raypereda@hotmail.com>.
The web page mentions that:
  All these encodings of the algorithm can be used free of charge for any
  purpose. Questions about the algorithms should be directed to their
  authors, and not to Martin Porter (except when he is the author).

Later in the FAQ, there is:
  The software is completely free for any purpose, unless notes at the
  head of the program text indicates otherwise (which is rare). In any
  case, the notes about licensing are never more restrictive than the BSD
  License.

So maybe the file is indeed not in the public domain, but the copyright
should be attributed to Ray Pereda, and distributed with a license at
least as permissive as BSD (BSD-2-clause should be ok). Don't you think?