Re: RFS: ruby-pdf-reader

Hi Antonio,

Thank you very much for your comments. I am learning a lot.

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 10:38:55AM -0700, Antonio Terceiro wrote:

> You did not import a new pristine-tar entry for the 0.10.0+real version.

I believe I did. I have just checked out again ruby-pdf-reader
repository. There are three commits on the pristine-tar branch. Two of
them mention the 0.10.0 version. The second one is in fact the same as
the 0.10.0+real version. That is why there is no difference between the
third and the second commit (just the tag). The third one (96dfda5...)
is the (real) pristine-tar entry for 0.10.0+real.

I could recover a tarball with:
  pristine-tar checkout ruby-pdf-reader_0.10.0+real.orig.tar.gz

The reason for this +real version is that the gem did not ship the test
suite. I already imported it in the repo when I realized it. I got the
corresponding tarball from github, but I had to change the version,
because the tag was already made public.

> If you do not ship the files under bin/, there is no reason to patch them at all.

You are right, I committed the patch before deciding not to ship the
files in bin/. I will revert 6cb66aaa.

> If you have .pc in .gitignore, it is more difficult to known why a
> second build is failing. Overriding upstream's .gitignore does not seem
> like a good idea, anyway.

Putting .pc in .gitignore is something I got from [0]. How does one live
otherwise with this uncommitted directory? (there is just one repo in
pkg-ruby-extras) with a commited .pc). I thought that having an upstream
.gitignore was in fact a bug in upstream release, is it not?

[0]  http://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/11/18/4-tips-to-maintain-a-3-0-quilt-debian-source-package-in-a-vcs/

Best wishes,