Re: Ruby packaging in wheezy: gem2deb, new policy, etc.

Lucas Nussbaum dijo [Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 08:33:02PM +0100]:
> > How is the compatibility between implementations right now? If a
> > package works across interpreters (it should be human-tested! Maybe
> > running its test suite with the different available interpreters would
> > do, although I don't want to do it for every uploaded package...),
>
> Why wouldn't you want to do it with every available interpreter? That's
> what is implemented in gem2deb currently.

Run the test suite four times per package, once with each interpreter?
Well, of course it gives better coverage... But some test suites are
quite long to run. And if we reach a stage where the different
interpreters are compatible enough, it might be pointless.

Also, it bloats our build-dependencies. If I have to install
traditional Ruby, Java (to get jruby) and Mono (to get IronRuby), and
whatever it takes to run Rubinius... Well, setups will be huge.

> > it can depend on ruby-interpreter. If it breaks, say, under jruby,
> > it could depend on ruby-traditional | rubinius. It would be a win
> > and would as you said, encourage advance and homogeneization of
> > the implementations.
>
> Well, if we use alternatives to select the ruby interpreter, a complex
> dependency scheme doesn't bring us anything, since it would still be
> possible for the users to shoot themselves in the foot.

Do you think Ruby has reached a stability point where it can be
handled through alternatives? i.e. where a user can change
/usr/bin/ruby to point from ruby to jruby and expect random programs
not to break?