Re: Ruby packaging in wheezy: gem2deb, new policy, etc.

Lucas Nussbaum dijo [Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:23:40AM +0100]:
> > > But then, it would severely limit the possibilities for overrides, and
> > > we would end up basically reimplementing debhelper.
> > >

> > I suppose it does get redundant with dh_installdocs. What if
> > dh-make-ruby just added a directory to the .docs file and then dh_ruby
> > will copy the docs into that directory?
> >
> > As far as overrides, that seems rather simple to me.
> >
> > dh_ruby --ignore-doc=x --ignore-file=y
>
> That could work. But, I don't see any advantage compared to the current
> behaviour (have dh-make-ruby create the .docs file at src pkg generation
> time, and then use dh_installdocs at build time). The current behaviour
> has the advantage of using the standard way of controlling the
> installation of those files, and thus makes the learning curve for
> current Debian packagers easier.

Without yet even checking your work (but from what I read on this
thread, it looks very promising!), I lean towards leaving dh_ruby as
minimal as possible, making it better integrate with the rest of the
dh tools - Installing documentation in its place is dh_installdocs'
job. Of course, it would be dh_ruby's to generate a suitable
documentation format from the package sources, ready to be just copied
to its destination directory.