Re: Building a Debian package out of a Rubygems' .gem file

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 10:43 -0300, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> Joshua Timberman escreveu isso aí:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > On Oct 18, 2010, at 12:00 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> >
> > > https://launchpad.net/debigem
> > >
> > > I just released a version which no longer uses 'gem install' to put
> > > the files down on the disk, but rather users setup.rb.
> >
> > I'll admit up front that I'm asking without checking the tool, but
> > does this make it easy to generate packages out of gems that have
> > multiple components?
> >
> > For example, merb and chef both have several gems built out of a
> > single source repository, each of which needs to be built as a
> > separate package.
> >
> > I know there are other Ruby projects that do this as well, though.
>
> I guess this could be automated with a modified debhelper buildsystem,
> e.g. "ruby_multiple", which would do the same steps that the "ruby"
> buildsystem does, but once for each subdirectory, with the appropriate
> $(DESTDIR).

For what its worth, dh_rubygems does this already by looking for
packages in the control file that matches the regex

/Package: (.+)-ruby([0-9\.]*)$/

And treats them as ruby packages in need of install (and uses the ruby
major release too if its present).