Re: Let's discuss big changes in Ruby packaging for squeeze+1

On 22/04/10 at 11:32 -0600, Joshua Timberman wrote:
> >Using Rake is usually a bit painful, because the Rakefile itself often
> >requires adding dependencies (like rubygems). It's better to keep
> >rubygems out of build dependencies since it allows to detect when the
> >scripts try to use it.
>
> It can be, yes. But then the package maintainer has to track down
> how the unit/spec tests are run and manually set up some other kind
> of scaffolding to actually execute the tests.

It doesn't look that difficult. Also, we could locally fork rubygems and
keep the parts we need to analyze the gem metadata and determine the
tests to run. (that info is in the gem metadata)

> I can see the point about keeping rubygems out of the build
> dependencies, but if we're building packages in a sandboxed
> environment such as with sbuild, can we not install rubygems, run
> the tests and then uninstall rubygems?

No, we can't install packages ourselves (that are not in the
build-depends) during the build.