Re: Dealing with upstream only releasing gems

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 07:06:22PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Paul van Tilburg dijo [Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:11:23AM +0200]:
> > > You can easier use githubredir.debian.net to use the github repository
> > > as the source, or simply repackage the gem as a tgz. It would be a good
> > > thing to have a gem2tgz script that does that automatically, btw.
> >
> > AFAIK in the case of libi18n does upstream not tag releases, so
> > githubredir doesn't offer any tarballs.  It is also the reason you
> > cannot create any watch-file.  Since this is all about upstream, we
> > should really encourage them to at least tag there stuff.  Packaging and
> > maintaining in essence "release/version-less" software is undoable.
> > Even more so if it is team-maintained since you might know what the
> > situation is but not the other team members.
>
> Of course, you could use versioning as 20100409 - if you are confident
> enough with the system, of course, to know when upstream has reached a
> "good" point.

As it happens, there are two different upstream git repos for i18n-ruby.

At github, there is the rails-i18n repository (which does not apparently
get tagged), and the i18n repository.  The latter repository is the one
that apperently houses the sources that were used to make the downloads
I previously found on rubyforge.  Using the github redirector, I have
created a watch file, and I think that this package and memcache-client
are now all set.

Thanks for all the information and the help.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez