Re: rails: New upstream release 2.3.5

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:05:57PM +0100, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

> > >    libi18n-ruby1.8 (>> 0.1.3)
>
> There is no wath file for this package, so we haven't detected that
> 0.1.3 was released.  Roberto, could you pick this up?
> Note that the status of the package in the team archive is messy,
> not all the tags/uploads seem to be there?

I have created a watch file pointing at githubredir.debian.net, which
seems to be working.  I have also uploaded it to ftp.upload.debian.org.
Once ftp-master is back online, it should enter the archive.

> > >    libmemcache-client-ruby1.8 (>> 1.7.4)
>
> This is not maintained within the team.  Roberto?

I also setup a watchfile for this one.  However, upstream has the
following code in the memcache.rb file:

begin
  # Try to use the SystemTimer gem instead of Ruby's timeout library
  # when running on something that looks like Ruby 1.8.x. See:
  #   http://ph7spot.com/articles/system_timer
  # We don't want to bother trying to load SystemTimer on jruby and
  # ruby 1.9+
  if defined?(JRUBY_VERSION) || (RUBY_VERSION >= '1.9')
    require 'timeout'
    MemCacheTimer = Timeout
  else
    require 'system_timer'
    MemCacheTimer = SystemTimer
  end
rescue LoadError => e
  puts "[memcache-client] Could not load SystemTimer gem, falling back to Ruby's slower/unsafe timeout library: #{e.message}"
  require 'timeout'
  MemCacheTimer = Timeout
end

Does the problem in the referenced URL apply to the Ruby 1.8 in Debian?
Can I just patch it down to this:

require 'timeout'
MemCacheTimer = Timeout

I ask because I do not want to allow a spurious warning to remain.
Recommendations?

Regards,

-Roberto

--