Re: Dealing with upstream only releasing gems

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 07:51:14AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 29/03/10 at 19:59 -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > I am working on updates to libmemcache-client-ruby and libi18n-ruby
> > (which I did not previously notice were available, on account of both
> > upstreams switching to releasing only gems a while back).  How are
> > maintainers of Ruby modules in Debian dealing with this sort of thing?
> > How are people creating watch files and also generating .orig.tar.gz
> > files from the gems?
>
> You can easier use githubredir.debian.net to use the github repository
> as the source, or simply repackage the gem as a tgz. It would be a good
> thing to have a gem2tgz script that does that automatically, btw.

AFAIK in the case of libi18n does upstream not tag releases, so
githubredir doesn't offer any tarballs.  It is also the reason you
cannot create any watch-file.  Since this is all about upstream, we
should really encourage them to at least tag there stuff.  Packaging and
maintaining in essence "release/version-less" software is undoable.
Even more so if it is team-maintained since you might know what the
situation is but not the other team members.

Kind regards,

Paul

--
PhD Student @ Eindhoven                     | email: paulvt@debian.org