Re: Need Help - What to do on bad upstream release number ?

Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Laurent Vallar wrote:
> > Sinatra 1.0 has been released and packaging is done : nothing more to
> > do, trunk is ready...
> > I should ask a DD to review SVN libsinatra-ruby but there is a big
> > problem : latest versions were numbered 1.0.a then 1.0.b and now the
> > release is ... 1.0 !
> >
> > What to do in this case ? Ask upstream to fix release number or else
> > do something to debian changelog ?
>
> You can use 1.0.really1.0-1 as a version, for example.
> For alpha and beta releases, it is better to use the ~ character, that
> is lower than all other characters.

Let me put in a vote to use something like 1.0.really1.0-1 as Lucas
suggests.  If the upstream is reasonably active now as it sounds like
it is then almost certainly this will be short lived and a new later
version number will soon appear, you can package it and the old
version problems will all disappear into the archives.  Because
although an epoch can save a bad situation it also adds a complication
that lasts *forever*.  Which is a shame when in a case like this it
can easily be avoided.

Just my opinion...

Bob