Re: Ruby in squeeze

Lucas Nussbaum dijo [Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 01:56:34PM +0100]:
> > > Proposed actions:
> > > - All packages currently build-depending or depending on Ruby 1.9.0 must
> > >   switch to Ruby 1.9.1 or completely drop the dependency on Ruby 1.9.*.
> > > - ruby1.9 (providing Ruby 1.9.0) must be removed from Debian.
> >
> > We should try to ensure we are ready to switch to defaulting to 1.9.x
> > anyway - By making sure all of our modules provide 1.8 and 1.9
> > versions.
>
> Erm. Having our modules provide 1.8 and 1.9 versions requires having a
> way to easily package two versions. I don't think there's enough
> manpower to do that before squeeze. I would prefer if we stayed with the
> statu quo: maintainers are free to provide 1.9(.1) versions of their
> modules if they want to, but there's no obligation to.

There can never be an obligation to do anything in Debian ;-) But we
can at least push this as, if you may, a strong recommendation or
position statement. Yes, not all of my packages are 1.9 enabled, and
for some it might be a not-to-hard task. But I have found it is
usually a trivial task. And if it's not, ok, I leave them as they are,
1.8-only.

--
Gunnar Wolf • gwolf@gwolf.org • (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244