Re: Ruby in squeeze

On 14/12/09 at 15:34 -0500, Richard Hurt wrote:
> On 12/13/09 3:49 AM| Dec 13, 2009, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >We should decide on what we are going to ship in squeeze, regarding
> >Ruby.
> >
> >I think that:
> >- the Ruby community is not adopting Ruby 1.9 yet, and many libraries
> >   are still lacking support for it. Trying to support it now would be
> >   premature. However, we could ship it as a "technology preview", like
> >   we shipped 1.9.0 in the past.
> Are you saying that the Ruby community is not adopting Ruby 1.9.0 or
> 1.9.1?  Or is there a Ruby 1.9 to consider as well?  (confusing!)

I'm saying that the community tends to stay with Ruby 1.8.{6,7}, and
ignore the work on 1.9.{0,1,2} so far.

> >- We cannot support two Ruby 1.9 versions in squeeze (1.9.0 and 1.9.1).
> >   We should support only the latest one.
> Agreed!
> >- Work on a new way to package Ruby libraries (new ruby policy) should
> >   be postponed to after squeeze. Since Ruby 1.9 is not being adopted,
> >   and JRuby is now in non-free, there's also less urgency to make the
> >   switch.
> >
> >Comments?
> >
> >Proposed actions:
> >- All packages currently build-depending or depending on Ruby 1.9.0 must
> >   switch to Ruby 1.9.1 or completely drop the dependency on Ruby 1.9.*.
> >- ruby1.9 (providing Ruby 1.9.0) must be removed from Debian.
> >
> Agreed!  The current situation is extremely confusing for existing
> users, let alone new people.
> >Does someone know something about the Ruby 1.9.2 plans? I've read they
> >have been delayed, but I don't know the new plans. Should we try to
> >release squeeze with 1.9.2 instead of 1.9.1?
> I think we must do *something* to move Ruby forward on Debian.  If
> 1.9.2 comes out in time for some decent testing on Squeeze I think
> it would be best to include it by default.  Debian has been behind
> in Ruby development for too long.

What do you mean by "behind in Ruby development"? I think Debian is
doing quite well, especially compared to other distros that don't even
include 1.9.*.

Basically, for 1.9.2 to be included in squeeze instead of 1.9.1, it must
either come out before the end of the year, or we should know precisely
when it will come out and what it will change (so we can do as much
advance planning as possible).