Licensing questions for my Rails project

Hey all,

I am in the process of building my first Rails application (Gradesheet[1]) and would like a little advice on assigning a license.  Even though most Rails projects are MIT licensed the chosen license for this application is GPL-2, which I think covers my needs pretty well.  The reason I'm asking this list is that I want to, one day, package this application up for use in Debian and I want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible.

My question is what is the best way to apply this license to my project?  I know that I could copy the GPL-2 header into each of my files, but that is very repetitive and wasteful of storage and screen space.  My thought was just to put a license section in the README.rdoc or make a LICENSE.rdoc file that says something like "this project is licensed under GPL-2, except otherwise explicitly noted."  Would that satisfy the Debian packaging requirements?  If not, what do I have to do?

[1] http://github.com/rnhurt/gradesheet
--
Richard Hurt
CEO KangarooBox, LLC.