Ruby in squeeze

Hi,

We should decide on what we are going to ship in squeeze, regarding
Ruby.

I think that:
- the Ruby community is not adopting Ruby 1.9 yet, and many libraries
  are still lacking support for it. Trying to support it now would be
  premature. However, we could ship it as a "technology preview", like
  we shipped 1.9.0 in the past.
- We cannot support two Ruby 1.9 versions in squeeze (1.9.0 and 1.9.1).
  We should support only the latest one.
- Work on a new way to package Ruby libraries (new ruby policy) should
  be postponed to after squeeze. Since Ruby 1.9 is not being adopted,
  and JRuby is now in non-free, there's also less urgency to make the
  switch.

Comments?

Proposed actions:
- All packages currently build-depending or depending on Ruby 1.9.0 must
  switch to Ruby 1.9.1 or completely drop the dependency on Ruby 1.9.*.
- ruby1.9 (providing Ruby 1.9.0) must be removed from Debian.

Does someone know something about the Ruby 1.9.2 plans? I've read they
have been delayed, but I don't know the new plans. Should we try to
release squeeze with 1.9.2 instead of 1.9.1?

Thanks,