Re: Ruby 1.9.1 package release plan

>>> Sure, typing ruby1.9.1 is harder than typing ruby for the user. We could
>> I think that complexty is a problem...
> We are discussing typing "ruby1.9 foo.rb" instead of "ruby1.9.1 foo.rb".
> That's only two bytes!

Many ruby1.9.x packages in Debian is the problem, I think.

You said "users won't get 1.9.1 and will have to stay with 1.9.0 until
all the libs they use have transitionned".

But Users only wait (some) packages used by themself.
And they can submit a bug to push transitions.
(Or they can make a patch!)

If we provide ruby1.9.x packages for Debian/sid users,
they may miss new version of Ruby 1.9 in Debian.
They may stay in Ruby 1.9.0 even if they don't intend.

Note:

 * http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2007/12/25/ruby-1-9-0-released/
   "Matz announced the release of Ruby 1.9.0, a development release"

 * http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2009/01/30/ruby-1-9-1-released/
   "Ruby 1.9.1 is released. This is the first stable release of the Ruby 1.9 series."

--
ay