Re: [DRE-maint] Candidate new Ruby policy

Lucas Nussbaum dijo [Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 07:06:39PM +0200]:
> > >     Existing Ruby libraries can either change name (and adopt the
> > >     ruby-xxxx naming) or keep their existing name.
> >
> > I understand this is to ease the pain - but it gets us to an
> > inconsistent state. I'd rather encourage people to do the naming
> > switch if one is to happen, if for nothing else, to keep users from
> > having two naming variations to search on.
>
> The [D] point of the policy was for source packages, not binary
> packages. The point is to provide a sane default choice (ruby-xxx) for
> new packages. For existing packages, I don't really care about what is
> done, and having different naming schemes for source packages
> doesn't sound too harmful (it's already the case). But having new source
> packages named libxxx-ruby, while their binary packages will be named
> ruby(|xxx)-xxx, doesn't sound like a good idea.

Umh... Still, why are you proposing the change from libxxx-ruby to
ruby(|xxx)-xxx for (either source or binary) packages? I completely
agree they should be consistently named, but libxxx-ruby is much more
widespread nowadays.

And I'd add that existing packages should be homogeneized as much as
possible, even if it means going again through NEW.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23