Re: Candidate new Ruby policy

On 2009-04-05, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> [A] Ruby libraries must support as many as possible of the Ruby versions
>     available in Debian. That currently includes Ruby 1.8, Ruby 1.9.0
>     (soon 1.9.1), JRuby 1.0, and JRuby 1.1. (Should we drop JRuby 1.0?)
>     ruby-support --supported lists the versions that should be
>     supported.

sure.

> [B] Ruby libraries must be installed in "vendor" directories, not mixed
>     with the ruby standard library. For Ruby1.8 and 1.9, that means
>     using:
>       ruby1.8  /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8
>       ruby1.9.0  /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.9.0
>       ruby1.9.1  /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.9.1
>     For JRuby, a change is needed to create such a directory. No
>     "vendor" dir is supported currently.

sure.

> [C] Ruby library package naming policy. Ruby library packages can
>     choose between two naming schemes:
>     [...]

as it's already been mentioned in this thread, most other ruby
packages seem to be named xxxx-ruby; the principle of least effort
would have me favor the naming schema that involves as little renaming
as possible, but I will of course gladly bow to the majority's
decision, and rename all my packages if necessary.

Regards,

--Seb