Re: gems is trying to access /usr/bin

Tim Olsen wrote:
> I have libgems-ruby1.8 1.0.1-4 installed.  I setgid the /var/lib/gems
> directory with 775 permissions and owned by group gems.  This way I
> can install gems without being root (I only need to belong to the group
> gems).

Good idea.  Unfortunately it won't work.  Due to how Ruby and Gems are
created upstream this will fail.

> Any idea why rubygems is trying to touch /usr/bin ?  Has anyone else
> noticed this?

Unfortunately this is an upstream misfeature.  There is no site local
directory in Ruby to install programs.  Therefore all gems try to
install into the same directory as ruby.  Since ruby is installed in
/usr/bin/ruby gems try to install programs into /usr/bin/ too.

The only successful workaround that I have found is to install a local
version of ruby in /usr/local/bin/ruby and then gems follow there.
This is unfortunate and I am looking for a solution but so far do not
have one.

Bob