gem_plugin vs Debian

Hello!

I am interested in packaging mongrel_cluster [1] for Debian, and am a
bit puzzled about the current status of gem_plugin in Debian.

>From what I have seen, gem_plugin scans the "specifications"
subdirectory of Gem.dir, and for all the .gemspecs it finds, it tries to
load GEM_DIR/lib/GEM_NAME/init.rb.

This is fine for actual gems, but it doesn't work for gems that have
been converted to a Debian package. It looks as though we need something
like:

- a way of keeping track of the "gems" installed as Debian packages
- a Debian-specific patch for gem_plugin to pick up this list in
addition to the actual gems

Is anyone currently working on something along these lines?

Cheers,
Jeremy

[1] http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/mongrel_cluster.html